2016

2015

2014

Live music in Erie

Ever since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, live music and shows had been put on hold. However, as precautions against the virus are being distributed and put into place, we welcome local music back into our Erie community.

From Oct. 22-24, Basement Transmissions held shows featuring various bands performing in different genres, and all sharing their talent.

“Being able to attend live shows after over a year of waiting has been so exciting,” Villa Maria Academy senior Olivia Loesel said. She attended the shows on Friday and Sunday of that weekend. “I always feel welcomed. Like we all just have a connection through our love for music.”

One of the bands who performed over the weekend, Half Glass, is made up of Bill (lead vocals/guitar), Todd (drums), Shane (backup vocals/ guitar), and Tony (bass). The band was first Bill and Todd, who previously played in another band, Matty B and the Dirty Pickles. Then, in 2018, they asked Tony to join. For about two years it was only the three of them until the pandemic when they started recording music.

“We realized we were limiting ourselves with just the three of us, so we decided to add a second guitar.”

This is when Shane came in, a previous band mate of Tony and friend of the others.

Half Glass puts a lot of effort and time into preparing for a show. “We like to write out a setlist about a month before the show so we can practice it over and over.“

They make sure to adjust the setlist to flow properly or to allow them to have a song where they can “rest.”

“The more we plan and make a routine of it, the easier the show is and the more fun we can have performing.”

“Live music physically brings people together. It’s a beautiful thing really. [It] creates a space for all kinds of people to come together in a more often than not safe and accepting environment.”

You can find Half Glass’s EP “Not Interested” on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and SoundCloud.

As more live shows are being put on around the city, it shows a community rebuilding itself after a long break. A way to bring people together to enjoy themselves and the wonderful music Erie has to share.

View Comments (1)