2016

2015

2014

Opinion: Incognito not only one at fault in Miami Dolphins bullying scandal

Editor’s Note: This article reflects the opinion of the writer James Fleming and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Rambler staff.
Most people have heard about the “bullying” problem in the NFL because of the recent Jonathan Martin incident. Allegedly Richie Incognito sent very vulgar voicemails and text messages to Martin during camp. Martin told the staff and showed them what Incognito had said. It looked pretty dry at first. It looked like Incognito was all wrong and Martin was a victim. Some other facts have been released, and now I believe that it wasn’t all on Richie Incognito.
If you asked anyone in the Dolphins locker room who Martin’s best friend was, they would have told you Incognito without even thinking twice. The two men were best friends before all of this came out. So Incognito must have just taken things too far with his voicemails, right? Not so much. Incognito showed a text message last week from before his voicemails from  Martin. The text said that Martin was going to kill his family. If Incognito took it too far, then what do you call that message? I think that was the nature of their friendship. Maybe Martin shouldn’t have made the jokes if he couldn’t handle getting them back.
There was one more theory that isn’t too far fetched. I read that maybe the Dolphins told Incognito to toughen up the rookie, Martin. Maybe it was Incognito’s job to make the rookie a little less soft. The Dolphins organization is currently being investigated for this. If Incognito was indeed told to toughen the rookie up, is this his fault?
I don’t think Martin should have told anyone about this. In my opinion, he is soft for the way he handled this and is still handling it. If he had a problem he should have taken it up with Incognito, not made this big fiasco out of it. I don’t think what Incognito did was right, but all of this could have been avoided if Martin wasn’t so soft.