Meet Mr. Smith, Cathedral Prep’s new president

Alicia Gonzalez, Staff Writer

One of the newest editions to the Cathedral Prep and Mother Theresa Academy family is Mr. Kevin Smith, the new president. Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, he made the move to Erie from Tulsa, Oklahoma with his wife and two children.

What attracted Mr. Smith to Cathedral Prep was its proximity to Cleveland, where his extended family resides. What caught his eye was the challenges the consolidation brought to someone in the position of president, who has to oversee and direct.

“Any leader is smart to understand the foundations you’re standing in to serve others,” Mr. Smith said.

He has experience in leading schools, having taught in five schools, stating it is “always the same job in a new place.”

Having led a merger for two schools in the past, he was familiar with the task.

As president of the schools he is involved in all departments and is a part of student and teacher interactions. He can be spotted at Prep sporting events and his favorite cheer so far is the “roller coaster.” When not in the stands cheering on the Ramblers, he enjoys skiing and hiking.

He’s also a big fan of Erie so far. “It’s easy to meet people, and everyone is friendly,” he said.

As an outdoorsman, he loves the nature Erie has to offer.

He hopes his work will set up the next generation for success. He is excited to be leading new projects at both Prep and MTA that will inspire innovation. With a new building and a new president, the future looks bright.