2016

2015

2014

Fantasy Football Week 6 Start/Sit

Week 5 was full of good and bad fantasy surprises. Players like Peyton Manning and C.J. Anderson were popular first and second round picks, but have been huge disappointments so far. The same is true for Packers running back Eddie Lacy. Jamaal Charles tore his ACL, which severely hurts the Chiefs and millions of fantasy owners. However, there are a few positives to take from last week. Doug Martin looks as good as he was a couple of season ago, and young players, such as Todd Gurley and Blake Bortles, have stepped up to become regular fantasy starters. Here are some picks for Week 6.
Quarterback
Start: Colin Kaepernick (SF) – Kaepernick and the 49ers play the Ravens this week, and, even though they have not had much success on offense, they should fare well against this increasingly faulty defense. The Ravens have given up the most fantasy points to opposing QBs and made Josh McCown look like one of the best in the league. This should be a late coming out party for Kaepernick.
Eli Manning (NYG) – The Giants have looked really solid this year on offense and could be undefeated if it wasn’t for a few late game breakdowns. Manning has been very consistent all year and comes in as the 7th best fantasy quarterback this season. He is having one of his best years so far and should be an automatic start against the Philadelphia Eagles, who have given up the seventh most passing yards on defense this season.
Sit: Cam Newton (CAR) – Cam has had an up and down season so far, and this week will mostly be a down for him and the Panthers on offense. This game against the Seahawks is set to be a defensive struggle. Tight end Greg Olsen has been the only consistent target for Newton this year, and he will likely be blanketed by Seattle’s stout defense in the middle of the field.
Josh McCown (CLE) –  I know he had over 450 yards last week, but that was last week and now he plays the top ranked defense in all of football. The Broncos have not given up more than one touchdown in a game and have yet to yield a 300 passing yard performance. McCown will likely look more like a backup again this week, and the Browns will look more like the Browns.
Running Back
Start: C.J. Anderson (DEN) – Anderson, as I said earlier, has been a huge disappointment this year and has not even had a single decent game. However, the Broncos are playing the Browns this week, and the running back who plays the most should always be started on the team that goes against them. Anderson was on the field more than Ronnie Hillman last week and should be started this week.
LeGarrette Blount (NE) – The Colts have not been an overall awful rushing defense in recent times, but they have been when playing the Patriots. Blount rushed for 148 yards and 3 touchdowns in the AFC Championship last season and was the true difference in the blowout win. In Week 6, fully inflated balls should have no difference, and Blount could have his best game this season.
Eddie Lacy (GB) – Lacy, much like Anderson, has underperformed greatly for fantasy owners, but, also like Anderson, he has a favorable match up this week. The Chargers have given up the third most fantasy points to opposing RBs. As Lacy continues to gain speed and agility as he recovers from a nagging ankle injury, he will get better. This week is a great new starting point to his revival.
Sit: Jeremy Hill (CIN) – This game against the Bills is more of a Giovani Bernard game with the Bills being very good up front. Buffalo have given up the third fewest rushing yards per game, but they do struggle with the perimeter run, which is more of Bernard’s strong point. The Bengals backfield has been a mess to keep up with, and, for now, should be a week-to-week experiment in fantasy.
Jonathan Stewart (CAR) – Not only are the Seahawks great against the pass, they are also great against the run (in case you didn’t already know). They will probably limit Newton and anyone else in the backfield this game. Stewart has not been good this year, with only 3.7 yards per rush and no touchdowns, and this is not the week for him to break through.
Wide Receiver
Start: Brandon Marshall (NYJ) – The Jets are coming off a bye, but it’s not like they needed to correct a whole lot on offense. Gunslinger Ryan Fitzpatrick has stepped in nicely and has looked in sync with all of his receivers. Marshall has given the Jets everything they hoped for so far and goes against a bunch of short cornerbacks on the Washington Redskins this week.
Anquan Boldin (SF) – The Ravens, again, have been awful against the pass, and have been much worse against receivers than tight ends. Boldin does not seem to have lost a step and is gradually helping Kaepernick regain his confidence. This week is also a revenge week for Boldin, and we saw what an old veteran can do against his old team with my first sit pick for WR.
Mike Wallace (MIN) – Wallace finally came through with a good fantasy day two weeks ago, before Minnesota’s bye, when he had 8 catches for 83 yards and a touchdown. He is been battling a knee injury, but has had a lot of time to rest and heal up. The Vikings play the Chiefs, who have given up by far the most points by opposing WRs. Teddy Bridgewater and Wallace could be in for a big day.
Sit: Andre Johnson (IND) – Johnson was great against the Texans, the place he called home for over a decade, last week, but was not very productive in the first four weeks of the season. At this stage in his career, he is really more of a number 3 option behind teammates T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief. Expect minimal numbers for Johnson as long as the two above stay healthy.
Travis Benjamin (CLE) – Benjamin has remained the number 1 option at WR this year after a couple big games, but shouldn’t be relied upon in fantasy this week. The Broncos are 2nd in fewest fantasy points allowed by opposing receivers, and have only given up one touchdown to start pick Mike Wallace. This game will probably be a disaster for the Browns, one that might end the hopes of the Cleveland faithful.
Tight End
Start: Zach Ertz (PHI) – Ertz has not been consistent at all this season, but he goes against a Giants defense who have given up the second most receiving yards to opposing tight ends. QB Sam Bradford has been coming along, and Ertz is the best threat for the Eagles at the TE position. As long as veteran Brent Celek doesn’t steal a touchdown from Ertz, he should have a good fantasy day.
Darren Fells (ARI)- This start might only be an option if you are desperate and you have Jason Witten on a bye or someone else out with an injury. The Cardinals face the Steelers, who have given up the most points to tight ends this season. Fells has scored two touchdowns this season, and has been on the field about 85% of the time. However, he has only amassed 8 catches all year. Still, if there was ever a time when Fells should be in the game plan most, this is the week.
Sit: Derek Carrier (WSH) – Usual starter Jordan Reed is still out, but Carrier has not been as much of a focal point in this offense as Reed was. He caught a touchdown pass last week to save his fantasy day, but he was only targeted 3 times by Kirk Cousins. Number 1 receiver Desean Jackson is back this week, which will only take more targets away from Carrier.