2016

2015

2014

It Grinds My Gears When…

It Grinds My Gears When...

Have you ever found your gears so ground that they’re practically dust? It leads me to believe that I could replace my coffee beans with gears and make a terrible tasting brew. That’s how ground my gears are right now.
This week at Prep my gears have been rigorously ground. This week had the potential to be one of the best weeks at Prep. The first semester ends today, and school was not in session on Monday, giving us a four day week. The most exciting part of the week is that we play McDowell in basketball tonight, the first varsity game against them in the Joann Mullen Gymnasium. One major letdown to this week is that there is no rally for the big game. All we have to prepare for our meeting with that school on 38th Street is a dress down day. How are we supposed to get pumped and rowdy for the game with a dress down? This just doesn’t make sense, it grinds my gears thoroughly.
It’s a totally unrelated issue, but I feel I must address this issue as well. We all know it’s cold outside. Due to this, we tend to turn the heat up inside. Notably, Señora Lopez’s room was nice and toasty. I walked in and immediately felt safe. This was a room I could sit comfortably in and learn some Spanish. A certain student who shall remain nameless found the temperature a little too hot for his liking. He then proceeded to open up a window, letting in the cold, frigid air. The class protested, but he refused to shut the window because he alone thought the room was too hot. I understand that some people have different comfort levels when it comes to temperature, but here’s the thing: HE WAS WEARING A SWEATER.
For those unfamiliar with the term, a sweater is a clothing garment put over a shirt to keep the person wearing it warm. Putting on a sweater is a personal choice. There’s no reason that this student should have made the rest of us suffer in the cold because he felt too hot when he could just remove his sweater. It’s a simple solution. You feel cold? Put on a sweater. You then feel too hot? Remove said sweater. Do not open up a window, letting Jack Frost in to nip at the noses of all others present. Not cool, a real gear grinder if I’ve ever seen one.