2016

2015

2014

MLB playoff races tight as season nears finish

With the smell of the crisp fall leaves falling, pies baking in the oven, and the sound of football games playing, we must never forget the Major League Baseball playoffs. It’s September again, and the Fall Classic is right around the corner.
Four American League and four National League teams have their division leads while the others compete for the two wild cards. So, who’s in the hunt?
On the American League side, the Baltimore Orioles currently leads the first wild card spot by a half game. The second wild card is in the hands of the Toronto Blue Jays, and closely chasing behind are the Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees, and Seattle Mariners. As for the National League, the San Francisco Giants currently have the first wild card in their hands by a half game as well. The New York Mets have the second wild card spot, and the St. Louis Cardinals and Miami Marlins trail closely behind.
This year has been a very interesting year for professional baseball. With a lot of new talent coming through the minors and rising to the majors, these teams who were considered mediocre for the past few years are now starting to make a name for themselves.
Katie Robison, a local Detroit Tigers fan, said she believes that the Tigers will take the first wild card with the Blue Jays keeping the second one, knocking Baltimore right out of the picture. She also believes that the Giants and Mets will hold their ground and take the two wild cards in the National League.
The playoffs in baseball are unpredictable. Teams that may have a mediocre regular season may really spark it up in the playoffs, whereas teams that may have dominated the regular season fall apart in the postseason.  This year’s prediction on the World Series is being called a rematch of the 2012 World Series between the Tigers and Giants.