2016

2015

2014

Erie hit with record amount of snow

Erie Pa, was hit with one of the largest snowstorms in history over the holiday season. It was reported that the city received 34 total inches of snow on Christmas Day. The snow didn’t stop after that as Erie received 24.5 inches of snow the following day. This is most snow Erie has ever recorded in a two day span. With a total of 58.5 inches of snow coming that fast it made road conditions very poor. A law was even made for a day where it was illegal to be driving on the roads for motorists without snow tires on their cars. It was stressed that people should not driving unless it was an absolute emergency.
Many sports events and practices were closed for most of the week. It made traveling almost impossible. Junior Luke Kubiak stated, “I wasn’t able to get my daily workout in because I couldn’t even manage to get out of my driveway.” Most people had to spend a good portion of that week trapped indoors. Erie is currently the snowiest city in America right now. No other city is even close in the total amount of snow received this winter. Erie has received 133.0 inches of snow so far this winter season. Syracuse, New York, is in second place, but it’s not even close. They have received only 63.8 inches of snow this winter. Erie went on to make national news for the amount of snow received. Erie civilians are used to getting large amounts of snowfall during the winter, but no one has ever experienced anything like this.
As of the time of this publishing, most of Erie’s record snowfall has melted away thanks to a two-day stretch when temperatures reached the upper-50s. As soon as it has melted, though, another winter storm warning is in effect with the potential for another batch of ice and snow.