2016

2015

2014

Wildfires devastate California

Currently in California, there are two massive fires causing large amounts destruction to people’s houses and towns. The first large fire going on right now I’m going to talk about is called the “Camp Fire.” The “Camp Fire” is currently at Butte County, which is north of Sacramento. The “Camp Fire” has burned around 138,00 acres and about 10,321 structures that includes homes. It has also caused 56 confirmed fatalities confirmed; however, those numbers continue to rise. The fire is about 35 percent contained. These are some significantly large numbers caused by a fire, but the craziest part is that this is only one of two large scale fires going on currently in California. 
Embed from Getty Images
The second fire currently occurring in California is called the “Woolsey Fire.” The Woolsey Fire is currently located in Ventura County, which is located just north of Los Angeles. The Woolsey Fire has burned through about 98,362 acres of land and currently is the cause of three confirmed fatalities. This fire is 52 percent contained, which is much higher than the “Camp Fire,” but firefighters and volunteers still have a lot of work to completely contain the fire. So far, the fire has destroyed 435 structures and 57,000 more are in danger.
As of right now, officials have said they have not yet determined what started the fire, but many residents who lost their homes have filed law suits against Pacific Gas and Electric Co, because they have failed to maintain their power lines.
Prep senior student Pat Kelly said, “It’s very tragic, and we are keeping all involved in our prayers.” It’s a very sad tragedy that has come about in California, and we hope for the best for anyone affected by the fire.”