2016

2015

2014

Basketball team competes, falls short in first matchup against rival

This past Friday, Jan. 10, the Cathedral Prep basketball team played against their Millcreek rival, the McDowell Trojans. Nearly 2,000 fans were in attendance during the game at the Hagerty Family Events Center.

The Ramblers started out the game with star point guard Alfonso Pickens, Quentin Santillan, Will Innes, Michael Lucarotti, and Liam Galla. Quentin Santillan hit two quick three pointers to start the game, forcing the Trojans to make a big change and sub in Jaeden Jefferson. The Ramblers ended the first quarter outscoring the Trojans 19-10.

The Trojans became nervous and turned up their intensity, outscoring the Ramblers in the second quarter. McDowell led 24-21 at the half after holding Prep to only two points at the end of the first half.

During halftime, junior Jaheim Williams was picked to take the biggest shot of the game, a half court shot, to win free burritos for one entire year from Moe’s Southwest Grill. Unfortunately, he missed.

The third quarter started, and Prep was determined to come out strong in hopes of regaining the lead. Even with the 10 points scored in the third quarter, the Ramblers couldn’t catch up to the 13 McDowell scored. It was 37-31 at the end of the third quarter. The Ramblers cut the lead to three during the fourth quarter, having the entire Prep cheering section excited to see a comeback.

Neither team gave up. They both wanted to win so bad. Cathedral Prep senior Jaheim Howard said, “Having the opportunity to play in a high environment like that was amazing, but unfortunately we did not come up with the win.”

With a score of 50-39, the Trojans beat the Ramblers. Cathedral Prep cannot wait to show what they are made of during their next game against McDowell. The second matchup of the biggest rivalry in Erie takes place at McDowell on Jan. 28 at 7:30.