2016

2015

2014

Alumni Profile: Michael Gromacki

Michael Gromacki is a graduate from the Cathedral Prep class of 2013 who went on to become a Wheeling Jesuit graduate and an IT worker for GE. Michael’s father Brian, brother John, and grandfather Ceasar all went to Cathedral Prep before him, so he carried the family tradition on another generation.

Currently, Michael works in the IT field and does a lot of fixing computers and hands-on work with technology. He mentioned a couple times that the English department at Prep prepared him very well for writing papers in college and at work. He also went on to talk about math, his favorite subject at Prep.

“All around, Math was my favorite subject,” Gromacki said. “Mr. Achille’s freshman year algebra class definitely set the tempo for my career at Prep. I’ll never forget the meaning of a linear equation. After that, Mrs. Mullen and Mr. Czytuck continued to hold me accountable for my studies and teach me valuable life lessons like integrity and hard work. I would definitely have to say math was my favorite subject.”

Although Gromacki’s favorite subject was math, his favorite teacher wasn’t a math teacher. The late Mr. Del Rio was his favorite teacher because of the amount of passion and care he showed towards his students. He liked how energetic and passionate he was about his career. Mr. Del Rio’s ability to make students get interested in their school work is something that have made him a lot of alumni’s favorite teacher.

At Prep, the term “brotherhood” is used quite often to describe the relationship between students. Teachers always tell students that these relationships will last even after students graduate from college. Gromacki confirmed this is true.

“Yes, it definitely is because I still hang out with classmates and see them downtown all the time,” he said.

He also mentioned that Prep hosts reunions, and a large number of alumni get together to share stories about their time at Prep. According to Gromacki, this is a good example that helps prove the brotherhood’s existence.

Gromacki played rugby for a local club team during his high school years along with his football and wrestling careers at Prep. Rugby became something that he really enjoyed, and he went to Wheeling Jesuit on a rugby scholarship. After he graduated, he came back home to Erie and began working. He spoke very highly of his experience at Prep and said that it prepared him for college and getting a job.