2016

2015

2014

Staff Profile: Phil Pedano

The Rambler’s Co-Director of Public Relations and Cathedral Prep senior Philip Pedano loves many sports, but at a young age, he found a passion for the golf course.

“I have always been a golfer since I was in 1st grade,” he said, “but when I knew I wanted to become serious about golf was when I was going into my 8th grade year.”

Phil did not just acquire his passion for golf randomly; he had many influences.

“My uncle and grandpa influenced me to play golf,” he said.

He also added that his two favorite golfers were Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth.

Not only did Phil start playing golf at a young age, he joined his first school golf team early.

“The first golf team I was part of was in 5th grade for St. George,” he said. “I learned being on a team is different than just playing the sport just as an individual.”

After coming to Prep, Phil would join the golf team during his sophomore year, and he hasn’t regretted that decision since.

“My favorite aspects of being a Prep golfer is the talent and responsibility you need to have to be on the team,” he said. “Making the Prep golf team isn’t guaranteed and comes with a lot of hard work every single day.”

Golfing at Prep has paid off for Phil, as the team has won the district title and made it to states every year he’s been played. However, he credits all of his success to his teammates and coaches.

“I would say the coaches are always there for you in the good and bad to help you and make you better,” he said. “These are the best teammates I’ve ever had. Not a single one of them is selfish, and we all push each other every day to become better and accomplish our season goals. I feel like the hard work, dedication and practice is what really allows me to succeed and become a great and successful player.”

However, even with the coronavirus pandemic still raging on, Phil hasn’t slowed down any progress. Even with the virus restrictions and precautions, Phil and the golf team still have one goal in mind: a state championship.

“The golf season has been a little different this year with not as many tournaments as usual due to COVID,” he said, “but my teammates and I are making the best of it, and we still have an opportunity at winning a state championship.”

Although Phil’s forte is golf, he still enjoys watching many other sports, such as football, basketball, and hockey. He enjoys watching the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Penguins, North Carolina basketball, and Penn State football. Some of his favorite players include Sidney Crosby, Troy Polamalu, Daryll Clark, and Harrison Barnes.

“These are my favorite teams because I grew up my whole life rooting for these teams and my dad was a big influence on who my favorite sports teams were,” Phil said.