2016

2015

2014

The Great QB Debate: Brady vs. Manning

The Case for Tom Brady by JP Martin
Over the course of history, sports fans have seen the coming and going of hundreds of extremely talented individuals. Within this span of time, a few men and women stand out when you think of the best of the best, such as Michael Jordan, Serena Williams, Nolan Ryan, Mariano Rivera, Jerry Rice, and many more. However, when you speak about this top-tier group of individuals, you have to think: “who’s the true greatest of all-time?” and when asking yourself this question, regarding the NFL, one man should be a very valid option. This man is of course, the winningest postseason quarterback in league history and four-time Super Bowl champion, Tom Brady.
There’s a lot that can be said about the man behind number 12. Best Patriots quarter back in history? Stats don’t lie. Most clutch player in NFL history? We’ll let his record in the playoffs (22-9) attest to that. Best man under center in the history of the NFL? In my opinion, absolutely. Looking past his career passing yards total (58,028 yards), his career touchdown passes (428) and his completion percentage of 63.6%, you see a man who simply just gets it done. As said by many sportscasters and analysts, “football is a game of inches” and during his 17 years in the league, Brady has came through when his team needs him the most more times than not.
In all actuality, he has come through for his team more than any other player can say they have, appearing in the playoffs 31 times and winning 22 of those games. Alongside this staggering playoff win total is a shiny lot of Super Bowl rings—four, to be exact—that Brady has obtained over the years, going nicely with three Super Bowl MVP awards, two league MVP awards, six AFC championships, four NFL passing touchdowns leader awards, and many more awards and accolades that are unmatched by his competition. All in all, Brady embodies greatness more than any other player in the history of the NFL, and is the true greatest of all time.
The Case for Peyton Manning by David Rahner
It was the year 1998, and the Indianapolis Colts had the first pick in the NFL draft. They looked at all of their options, but they knew that the player they wanted was not a hard decision. They picked the quarterback from the University of Tennessee, Peyton Manning. Little did the franchise know that this pick was going to turn into one of the best quarterbacks to ever step onto a football field.
Before we even look into what Manning has done on the field, take a look at his family. It defines the phrase “football family.” Manning’s father Archie Manning was the second overall pick in the 1971 NFL Draft and played for the Saints for 10 seasons. Also, his younger brother Eli is one of the only quarterbacks in NFL history with at least 44,000 career yards, 290 touchdowns, four Pro Bowl appearances and two Super Bowl championships. As I’ve stated the Manning family is unbelievable. Also, their older brother Cooper was showing potential in high school until he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and had to end his career.
The start to my comparison starts with a quote from Tom Brady himself. He stated, “To me, he’s the greatest of all time. He’s a friend of mine, and someone that I always watch and admire, because he always wants to improve, he always wants to get better, and he doesn’t settle for anything less than the best. So, when you watch the best and you’re able to learn from the best, hopefully that helps me get better”.
Peyton Manning’s skills are unmatched. His main skill cannot be put into numbers because you realize it while watching the game. That skill is his game awareness. The number of times you see Manning run up to the line and change the play because he sees something he likes or does not like. That skill cannot be taught, and that is what makes Peyton Manning so valuable. Along with his awareness, he had the arm to compliment it.
According to SB Nation, Peyton holds 21 major NFL records. A couple of those records are the NFL career passing touchdown record (539), most passing yards in a career (71,940), single season touchdown record (55 in 2013), most passing yards in a season (5,477 in 2013), most wins including playoffs (200), most games throwing for 300+ yards (93), and most passing touchdowns in a single game (tied at 7 in 2013). These numbers speak for themselves.
So the question comes down to, who would be your franchise quarterback?  It has to be Manning. What he accomplished in his 250 games is unheard of. He is a leader and a superstar. He can win you games and make the big throw in overtime. His dedication is unparalleled and will never die out. He is basically another head coach for your team and who can play the game with the best of the best. Peyton Manning is the best quarterback to ever play the game.

View Comments (1)