The Final Chapter

Prep seniors reflect on the first semester, look forward to spring traditions
The Final Chapter

Prep seniors have made it to the last semester of their high school careers. The “home stretch” has finally arrived, and the Class of 2024 has both reflected on their year so far, and looked ahead to the future with excitement and anticipation.

“I felt that the first semester of senior year flew by super fast,” senior Ellie Brugger said. “So far, I have enjoyed homecoming the most, which makes me very evicted to attend prom this May.”

Senior Hayley Dever also agreed with Ellie.

“I did not expect the first semester to come and go like it did,” Hayley said. “I learned a lot from my classes and did a lot of college planning in the first half of the year, so my goal is to spend time with friends and make the most of the exciting events coming up.”

The month of May marks the start of the myriad of senior events that everyone gets to look forward to. May 4 is prom for the senior class, a staple experience in the lives of all high school students.

“Going to prom is something I have always looked forward to,” said senior Sarah Dudenhoeffer. “It will be our last high school dance ever, so we will all be ready to dance and have the best time.”

Later in May, the school will celebrate Sports Day, where the seniors will compete to be the best in the school. And towards the end of the month, seniors will be pinned by a Prep or Villa alumni of their choice, and will have their senior banquet to celebrate the four years spent together.

The last day of school for seniors will be on Mary’s Day, when the school gathers together to celebrate both Our Blessed Mother, Mary, as well as the senior class. Many seniors regard this as the “best day of the year,” and will cherish celebrating the day for the final time.

“Mary’s Day is such a special tradition for our school,” Hayley said. “Getting to celebrate it both at Villa my first two years and now at Prep in the cathedral has been beautiful, and I look forward to seeing the court and enjoying the day with my classmates.

Finally, the class of 2024 will officially graduate from Cathedral Prep on June 2, and will become the newest alumni of the school.

“I cannot wait to graduate and start the next chapter of my life,” said senior Lena Walz. Lena is committed to play Division I Basketball at St. Bonaventure in the fall.

“Prep has definitely prepared me to excel in college and in my athletics at the next level,” she said. “I cannot wait to celebrate these four years through our spring festivities, and then start fresh in the summer.”