Football, Faith, and Fulfillment

Football, Faith, and Fulfillment

Mike McCoy (‘66) returns to Prep, offers students words of faith-filled encouragement

On Monday, Feb. 26, former NFL All-Pro defensive linemen Mike McCoy spoke to the Prep student body in the David H. Bowes Auditorium.

McCoy is a native of Erie and is an alumni of the Cathedral Prep class of 1966. He attended the University of Notre Dame to play football, earned All American status, was named UPI Lineman of the year in 1969, and was 6th in Heisman Trophy voting. McCoy was drafted second overall by the Green Bay Packers in the 1970 NFL Draft, and played defensive tackle in the league for 11 years: 7 for the Packers, 2 for the Raiders, and another 2 for the Giants.

Students at Prep who listened to Mr. McCoy’s speech felt a connection between his story and their own lives.

“I admired how dedicated he was to his dream of playing professional football,” senior Ethan Seifert said. “He inspires me to always work for what I want to achieve in life.”

Senior Brady Palmer agrees that Mr. McCoy has a great outlook on life.

“I enjoyed his passion about life and how positive he was that things always get better,” Brady said. “It was quite moving and motivated me in my own life in a lot of ways.”

While speaking, Mr. McCoy explained how he credits his success in life to his faith. He spoke about making good choices and reminded students to choose friends that will bring them closer to God, and not drive them away from Him.

He encouraged students “not to let so-called friends, society, our culture, or our environment prevent [us] from being the best [we] can be.” And he reminded that while he has made his own fair share of mistakes, he has turned back to God and has been redeemed by the grace of His son, Jesus.

Senior Jacob Haugh appreciated what Mr. McCoy said.

“Mike McCoy taught me ways to sort through my life and grow closer to God,” Jake said. “His lessons helped me strengthen my faith and see ways that I can choose God in my life.”

Mr. McCoy founded Mike McCoy Ministries, an organization he created to share his experiences with football and faith to Catholic schools across the country, like Cathedral Prep. He also shares his witness to Christ at retreats, parishes, and youth groups, with the hopes of inspiring a new generation to become alive with the Faith.

Through his work in Youth leadership, Mr. McCoy’s goal is to empower today’s youth so that they may develop a greater vision for their lives.

The Cathedral Prep family is grateful that Mr. McCoy took the time to share his amazing story of dedication and trust in God. We, as a school community, will carry with us the empowering words of encouragement that he provided into all of our future endeavors.