Erie’s Future of Healthcare

Cathedral Prep’s MedPath program visits UPMC Hamot
Erie’s Future of Healthcare

Students aspiring for futures in healthcare, Prep’s MedPath students, took their final field trip of the year to UPMC Hamot on Wednesday, April 17. Students spent the entire school day on Hamot’s campus, exploring the different fields of medicine and interacting with many different types of health care professionals.

The day began when students were introduced to their “tour guide” for the day, Chief Nurse Cheryl Kosubicki. She directed students to the hospital’s auditorium for them to hear presentations from multiple professionals about what they do.

The presentations that students received came from the Clinical Director of Perioperative Services, Ashlee Skarzenski, President of the Hamot Health Foundation, Boo Hagerty, Chief Nursing Officer and Vice President of Patient Care Services, James Donnelly, and Director and Supervisor of Rehab Services, Samantha Panighetti and Stephanie Oros.

Seniors Emily Huber and Hayley Dever, attendees and MedPath students, reflected on the day and the impact of these individuals on their experience.

“I liked how efficient the speakers were about getting their point across,” Hayley said. “They really showed how dedicated they are to their work and proved how they make Hamot such a great place.”

Before lunch, students took a quick trip to Hamot’s Level 2 Trauma center to meet the Director of Trauma Services, Sarah Mattocks, and Trauma surgeon, Dr. Greg Beard. Hamot houses the region’s only Level 2 Trauma center, setting it apart from competing hospitals.

“The trauma visit was my favorite part of the day,” Emily said. “Dr. Beard and Mrs. Mattocks were super knowledgeable, and it was amazing to see the facilities they work in every day.”

After lunch, the students received a full tour of UPMC’s facilities. Some of the areas visited included the Clinical laboratories, Radiology department, the Pediatric floor in the McGee-Women’s Hospital, the Pharmacy, and the Sterilization center.

“Hamot is so technologically advanced in comparison to every other medical facility in our area,” Hayley said. “There is so much opportunity there for us to make huge advances in medicine and patient care.”

After a successful day, students were thankful for the chance to walk in the shoes of the region’s best healthcare team. They look forward to their futures with hope and excitement for the careers they will have in healthcare.

“The day we spent at Hamot made me look forward to entering the medical field one day,” Emily said. “I want to take care of people and make a difference like the many individuals we met there do each and every day.”