Pen to Paper: Ramblers commit to their school of choice on Signing Day

On Wednesday, Nov. 8, five Cathedral Prep seniors crossed the t’s and dotted the i’s on Prep’s first signing day of the 2023-2024 school year. These faith-filled student-athletes seem more than prepared to take on the collegiate level of sports.

Cathedral Prep baseball led the way with three seniors signing their letters of intent. Nick Jackson and Carson Phillips signed to Mercyhurst, and Luke Costello will attend Wake Forest next fall. Girls basketball wasn’t far behind, with Lena Waltz committing to Saint Bonaventure and Jayden McBride signing to Georgetown. Luke gave insight into what led him to sign with the Demon Deacons.

“I chose Wake Forest because of its tradition of academic and athletic excellence,” he said. “When I got to Winston-Salem, everything just felt right. The coaches, environment, and fans all were so welcoming. When you pick a school, you want to feel at home, and that’s what Wake provides for me.”

Jayden also spoke on what led to her signing with the Hoyas.

“I chose Georgetown University because of its academic and athletic offerings,” she said. “I felt at home when I stepped on campus and connected with the coaches and players. The atmosphere was welcoming, and I knew it was the place for me to excel on and off the court.”

Both stars also talked about how their entire recruiting journey went as well. 

For Luke, he began gaining interest at the next level in eighth grade. 

“From receiving my first offer in eighth grade to making my decision sophomore year, I couldn’t be more thankful for everything,” Luke said. “The entire process taught me how to be patient and what I looked for in a college and as a young student-athlete. I eventually narrowed my decision to Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and Duke. Ultimately, Wake Forest was the best option for my family and myself.”

For Jayden, signing with the Hoyas is a weight off of her shoulders.

“The recruiting process was fun and stressful,”  Jayden said. “I was able to visit schools and see what each had to offer. I narrowed it down to my two favorite schools but ultimately chose Georgetown. I am relieved that the process is over, and now I can concentrate on my senior season.”