This week’s Game of the Week features Saint Jude’s (OLC) and Blessed Sacrament (BS). OLC is coming off a rebounding win against a sub-par but hardworking Harborcreek Youth Services team. OLC dominated the game from tip-off to final buzzer. OLC was able to clear their bench in the game, but preseason All-CYO first-teamer, Sam Sweny, was still able to get up his shots and end the game with 27 points.
BS, on the other hand, is coming off two very close loses to OLP and OLMC. BS has been playing team basketball as of late, and has really cleaned up their turnover margin since their first game at Saint George’s. BS’s potential 6th-Man of the Year candidate, Sean Reed, has stepped up lately in scoring. He had 11 points in his game against OLP and 22 points against OLMC. BS also has been playing well lately because of the high energy and effort by the duo of Dominic and Nick Frisina. Look for the matchup between these two old rivals to be a good one, but OLC should be able to pull away by the end of the game.
Updated Power Rankings
- Our Lady of Peace (OLP) – (4-0, trending up) OLP has been dominating the CYO circuit from the start. They have had some impressive wins against OLMC, OLC, and the Dukes. BS was the team that came closest to upsetting OLP, but BS got off to a slow start and eventually lost by six in the end.
- Saint Jude’s (OLC) – (3-2, trending down) Despite the number one ranking in the CYO preseason rankings, OLC hasn’t looked as dominant as most expected. OLC, however, has played well lately. They did lose to a hot-shooting Duke’s team, but they overcame the loss, and rallied to beat SGS in overtime.
- Saint George (SGS) – (3-1, trending up) SGS has been a dark horse from the start of the season. They blew out BS by 30 points in their first game, and they haven’t stopped playing well ever since. SGS’s only lose has been a close game against OLC, which went into overtime.
- Mount Carmel (OLMC) – (2-2, trending down) OLMC has really surprised everyone, and not in a good way. OLMC lost to OLP and OLC early on in the season, but they did beat HYS by a large margin. OLMC went into overtime last game against BS, and they eventually pulled out a big win on the road.
- Saint Peter’s (Dukes) – (1-2, trending up) The Dukes haven’t had that bad of a year so far. They lost close games to OLP and SGS. Surprisingly, the Dukes did upset OLC on the road by shooting well and scoring a lot of points in the game.
- Blessed Sacrament (BS) – (1-3, trending down) BS hasn’t had the best start to their season, but they are starting to play better together. BS was blown out in their season opener by SGS, but they did come back and beat HYS by a fairly good amount. BS was the closest team to upsetting the top-seeded OLP, and they almost beat OLMC in overtime.
- Harborcreek Youth Services (HYS) – (0-4, steady) HYS really hasn’t looked that terrible this season. They haven’t won a game yet, but they have come close in some games. HYS hasn’t been blown out of games like they were in the past couple of seasons.