2016

2015

2014

Cathedral Prep Fall Mid-Season Sports Report

As the calendar closes on September, it is approximately midseason for many fall sports.
football2016Football
Record: 5-0
With half of the regular season over the Cathedral Prep football team have had a great start to the season. With a perfect 5-0 record, including key wins versus McWho and Benedictine from Ohio, the football team looks to keep it rolling in the second half of the season and go for another perfect regular season and winning a District 10 championship versus Warren.
The Ramblers are ranked 2nd in the state in class AAAA behind last year’s state champions Imhotep Charter. Prep is led by quarterback Joe Mischler who has been having a stellar year along with Notre Dame commit, linebacker Matthew Bauer, who have led the Ramblers in total yards and tacklesrespectively. Senior starting wide receiver Trey Deitrick talked about the mindset of the team right now. “I expect that we go through the regular season undefeated even though we have tough opponents coming up like Canisus. We have a great chance at a state title run, but if we take it game by game we can beat anyone in the state.” This attitude is the key to success for the season especially coming off a 2nd place in the state finish last year.
soccer2016Soccer
Record: 7-1
It has been a solid start to the season for the Prep soccer team, especially coming off a huge win at McWho last week. The Ramblers are riding high with a 7-1 record. Their lone loss came from a very talented Clarence team from New York. Seniors Phil Cammarata (St. Bonaventure commit) and Richard Blanchard along with juniors Zach Hein and Matt Zupan have led the Ramblers each game.
The soccer team has a huge second half of the season coming up as they play some great teams from Ohio in Lake Catholic and Walsh Jesuit along with another battle with the team from Millcreek. The team looks to keep their momentum going as they look to the playoffs and their quest for a third consecutive District 10 title and a possible run to states.
waterpolo2016Water Polo
Record: 12-2
The Cathedral Prep water polo squad has been working hard in the first half of their season, and this hard work has paid off with a 12-2 start. Of these 12 wins the most important one came versus the Trojans in the first win at the new David Hallman III Aquatics Center. In addition to great performances in the McDowell Cup, the Tiger Classic and the Beast of the East tournaments, the Ramblers look to keep the momentum going to win the first annual Erie Challenge, which will be held at the PVEC. The team hopes to be as successful as last year’s team who made a deep run in the state tournament.
golf2016Golf
The regular season just wrapped up for the Rambler golf team on Monday at Whispering Woods Golf Club where they won their 11th straight region title with a team score of 309 over 2nd place McWho who scored 331. With their region win, the golf team automatically qualified for the District 10 team championship where they will face the Warren Dragons at The Country Club in Meadville next Friday.
Individually, the Ramblers were led by Region Golfer of the Year, Ryan Misko, along with Alex Pol and Rob Harris who were all first team all region and automatic qualifiers for the District 10 Individual Championships which will also be held next Friday and Saturday at Meadville. Mark Majewski (Second Team All Region) and Patrick Kelly (Defending District 10 Individual Champion and PA State Qualifier) will play Monday in the Region Qualifier at Meadville to determine their spot into the Individual Championship. The Ramblers are looking for their first District 10 team title since 2013 and a chance at making the State Team Tournament.
crosscountry2016Cross Country
Record: 3-1
The cross country team has hit the halfway point in their season with wins in the region versus Central Tech, Strong Vincent and McWho. They also received a 5th place finish in the McDonough Invite in Cleveland. They are led by seniors Kyle Wagner and Ryan Garich along with junior Kyle Martin and sophomores Matthew Whaley and Alex Chelton who all have had stellar performances. The Ramblers have clinched the region for the second consecutive time with four more meets left of the regular season.
This school year has gotten off to a great start for all of Prep’s sports teams. Optimism is high for all of the teams as they look for continued success for the rest of their season.