Historic OT win for Rambler football

Cathedral Prep football conquered St. Francis in a six overtime showdown, 78-72. Senior Luke Costello fired the game-winning touchdown pass to junior Joe Himes, and Prep’s defense held in the final two overtimes to earn the win.

The game was sent to overtime thanks to Costello’s end zone connection with junior Griffin Potts. The drop-back touchdown dime, snapped with 22 seconds left in regulation, tied the matchup at 40.

The first four overtime periods resulted in successful touchdowns and two-point conversions for both teams. The score remained tied at 72 in the fifth overtime with both defenses holding their opponent from the end zone.

St. Francis received the ball first in the sixth OT, and the Rambler defense held them a second time.

Prep ended the game with a touchdown dagger the next possession.

“I am very happy with how far our passing game has come along,” Luke said. “At the beginning of the year we seemed like a run-heavy offense, but now we have implemented a huge passing threat to our offensive scheme.”

The senior QB surely got the passing game going, throwing 162 yards in the air and for 4 touchdowns in the contest. A pair was delivered to Himes, one to Potts, and another to junior Max Spence in the second overtime period.

The run game still proved its effectiveness for the Ramblers, accounting for seven of their eleven touchdowns scored. Senior Dajoure Holllingsworth led the way with four of his own, and junior Suhtaun Lewis carried in two. Costello also rushed for a score.

The Friday night thriller has been engraved in the history books, tying the record for the longest game endured by a District 10 team. It also serves as the second longest game played in all of PIAA history.

“It was nothing short of incredible,” Luke said. “The adversity that our team showed while playing until 11 at night on a Friday was ridiculous. I couldn’t be prouder of everyone for fighting until the end.”

The Ramblers look forward to the second half of the season and hope to carry momentum from the promising team win.

Senior wide receiver and defensive back Daniel Oblich reflected on the potential he sees in his teammates.

“I’m looking forward to seeing our team continue to come together,” Daniel said. “We have the right mindset going into each game, and especially in the most important moments. I’m excited to see what great things the team is going to accomplish.”

The Ramblers travel to take on McDowell in a classic rivalry game this Friday, Sept. 29.