Prep enjoys student-led bake sale, reflects before Lenten season

The student body was able to enjoy one last day of overindulgence before the Lenten season. To celebrate Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday,” a student-made bake sale took place during all three lunch periods. All proceeds benefited the school clubs and organizations that orchestrated the sale: National Art Honors Society, Book Club, and Fiber Arts Club.

The sale featured a variety of treats and goodies, many of which were made by Prep students.

“We had students make crispy treats, macaroons, cookies, cake balls, brownies, and many more,” said NAHS member Angeline Terrizzi. “There were also some candy bar donations we received from NHS that we sold in the sale.”

“Most items cost $1-$2,” NAHS member Maddie Huber said. “A few of the larger baked goods cost $3. Towards the end of the day, however, some bargaining between students let those who purchased multiple items get a better price.”

The proceeds given to each organization will greatly benefit what each of them seek to do throughout the school year.

“Our arts clubs at Prep have very little opportunities for fundraising,” Maddie said. “We need opportunities like the bake sale to go towards funding our club’s essential needs, as well as our community activities that help us represent our school.”

As Cathedral Prep journeys into the Lenten season as one family under Christ, the celebration of Fat Tuesday to prepare us for Lent holds great meaning in our faith journey.

“Fat Tuesday was a great day for a bake sale because it is known as a day for us to celebrate,” Maddie said. “It symbolizes the end of the indulgences and extra materialistic pleasures that we fast or withstand from during Lent as a way of expressing our devotion to the Lord in faith.”

Angeline reflected on what she feels the Fat Tuesday bake sale means to her personal faith journey throughout the next forty days.

“I like to look back on Fat Tuesday and all the treats I enjoyed throughout the Lenten season,” she said. “When I am struggling in my Lenten promises, it reminds me that we enjoyed the good gifts God already gave us, but now we should offer up our struggles to God to grow in our journey with Him.”