2016

2015

2014

Bishop Persico speaks to Prep students at Quarter Sessions

On Friday, Feb. 7, Cathedral Prep held its second Quarter Sessions assembly of the 2013-2014 school year. At the assembly all students who displayed academic prowess throughout the second quarter of the school year were recognized.
At this Quarter Sessions, like at all Quarter Sessions, those students who earned an 85 percent or higher in all of their classes in the previous quarter were awarded a “Second Honors” card, and those students who earned a 90% or higher in all of their classes during the previous quarter were awarded a “First Honors” card. Similarly, those students who had accumulated the highest QPA in their class throughout the quarter were awarded with either a school pennant or pin.
Unique to this Quarter Sessions was the recognition of those who scored well on their standardized tests (ACT and/or SAT). In particular, seniors Andrew Wilcox was recognized for scoring a 35 on the ACT, and senior Shaun Evans was recognized for scoring a perfect 2400 on the SAT, respectively. Also unique to this Quarter Sessions was the senior class having the highest percentage of class members to receive an honors card.
In addition to being an awards assembly, Quarter Sessions assemblies always feature a speaker related to the Prep community in some way. While all speakers have something special to share with the students of Prep, this most recent Quarter Sessions featured a very significant speaker: the Bishop of the Diocese of Erie, Bishop Lawrence Persico. This was a one-of-a-kind experience for those at the assembly as this was the first time the bishop had addressed the students at Prep as a whole in 20 years.
In his speech to students, Bishop Persico reminded students of the excellent opportunity that they have in Catholic education. Bishop Persico also urged students to pay attention to the life God is calling them to, in particular if they are being called to some form of religious life as a priest or deacon.
Because the second quarter sessions is behind us, it means that students are more than halfway through the school year. To end the assembly, Fr. Jabo urged all students to continue to work hard and not let their grades fall off in the second semester.
Check out the photo gallery from the second Quarter Sessions assembly below: