Teachers embrace switch to coed classrooms

Kendra Piotrowski, Multimedia Coordinator

Prior to this year, Cathedral Prep and Villa Maria Academy were on different campuses. Prep had only male students and Villa Maria Academy with only female students. With the consolidation of both campuses into one campus at Cathedral Prep this year, the change from being non-coed to coed was expected to be a change for the students and teachers.

One former Villa and now current Prep teacher, Mrs. Junk, physics, forensic science and environmental science teacher, stated that Cathedral Prep being coed now opens the doors for new possibilities.

“I am happy with how everything is going,” she said. “It is all a matter of perspective really. We can focus on the challenges, or we can see growth come from them. Everything is what we make it!”

Prep being coed now is a different environment for everyone.

“The environment is better,” Mrs. Junk said. “Boys and girls challenge each other in the classroom, and it is great to see the educational growth they push each other to.”

Prep math teacher, Mr. Czytuck stated, “I am happy with the change.”

History teacher Mr. Ek said, “I am proud of how our kids are handling it. They have showed a lot of maturity so far and seem to be adjusting just fine.

Prep’s teachers, either those who came over from Villa or those who were retained at Prep or have taught a coeducational school before, seem to be just fine and happy for the change. It was something everyone needed to adjust to, and everyone is making the best of it.