NHS sponsors blood drive at Prep

Alicia Gonzalez, Staff Writer

A blood drive will once again be held at Cathedral Prep, courtesy of the National Honors Society. It will take place Tuesday, May 16 from 8:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. in the H. David Bowes Auditorium and will be open to the student body, faculty, and staff.

Signups for the event will be held during all three lunch periods on May 8-12 as well as the following Monday, May 15.

Participation in the event is encouraged since there is a national blood shortage and need for donations. One person’s donation can aid up to 3 people. Additionally, a $5 Sheetz card will be given to individuals who donate.

Event chair and NHS member Vanessa Melle stated, “Prep would not just be helping out Erie but all of Northwest Pennsylvania because the Community Blood Bank is the only source for blood in the region.”

In order to donate one must not have taken ibuprofen or medicines of the like within a 48-hour window frame of giving blood. It is open to those 16 years old with a printed and completed parental consent form. It is also open to those ages 17 and above. One must not have any tattoos or piercings within the last 3 months leading up to their blood donation as well.

Mrs. Elizabeth Slaby, NHS coordinator, advises people to donate. “Blood donations are very important because they save people in emergency situations and planned surgical procedures,” said Mrs. Slaby. “It would be awesome if we surpassed our record turnout from January. You never know when blood will be needed so the supply must be kept replenished.”

For more information about donating, visit https://fourhearts.org/faq/