2016

2015

2014

Six Tips for Senior Year

Before they graduate as members of the Cathedral Prep Class of 2016, staff writer Tim Evans and managing editor Josh Kurczewski offered some friendly advice for the incoming senior class.

1. Take your SATs / ACTs early and more than once.
    There is no limit to how many times one can take the SAT or ACT, nor is there an age requirement besides simply having to be in high school. Both tests are offered quite frequently (more than four times per year), and it is also painless to sign up online. You probably don’t want to start taking these tests too young, since your results will more than likely improve as you progress through your high school career. However, you also don’t want to wait until the colleges you’ve applied to ask for your scores, since practice naturally makes perfect. In addition, paying the extra few dollars for taking these tests more than once is easily worth the investment of possibly getting a higher score, and therefore opening up more college opportunities than you otherwise would’ve had.
  2. Don’t overload your schedule for senior year.
    School is obviously meant for learning, and senior year should be no exception to that. However, that is not to say that you should hold the same exact mindset for senior year as you did for your past three years. You’ll be taking the SATs and ACTs, applying to and visiting colleges, participating in sports and/or extracurricular activities, and involved with a plethora of senior year activities. Amid all of this you will also want to spend time with your friends, cherishing your last high school moments. The last thing you want to be doing is unnecessarily loading your schedule with tons of AP classes that you won’t be able to manage.
  3. Get involved in student cheering sections.
    I get that cheering sections aren’t for everyone, and if you’re not already a part of the Rally Crew, it’d be decently easy to not make the effort of getting out and supporting the school’s sports teams. However, even if you aren’t the intense, screaming-your-head-off type of person, attending senior year sporting events will be something you’ll look back on and remember for the rest of your life. You’ll be in the front of the section anyway, and you can yell pretty much whatever you want (within reason, of course), so why not get rowdy, chirp the other team, and cheer your classmates on to victory.
  4. Try (especially during the first semester of) your senior year.
    Even though some schools will accept you before your first semester grades come in, they still check when they beck official. Being able to fend off senioritis for the first semester is a hassle, but if you are trying to get into a good college, it is a must. Some colleges won’t check second semester grades, although the most prestigious colleges and universities will. So, if you are going to let the senioritis slowly take over your school work, at least hold off until when the third quarter starts.
  5. If you find an app that’s not blocked don’t tell anyone.
    I’ve seen too many games and web browsers fall to the mass popularity they gain quickly, causing teachers and in turn the technology office to promptly block access. If you find an entertaining app that isn’t yet on the list of blocked apps and websites, keep it on the down low! Most of the time in the matter of a week it’ll be blocked if everybody finds out about it.
  6. Only park at EBC if you’re the only one.
    Many students found it very easy to park in the empty EBC lot across the street from the main office. But just like the unblocked apps and websites, when too many people find out, it gets busted. So if you are ever in a rush, park at EBC at your own risk, but once too many people start finding it easy to park there, bail quickly.