2016

2015

2014

Recommended senior students tutor freshmen

On Wednesday, Oct. 19, freshmen and senior students of Cathedral Prep had the day off due to sophomore/junior testing. However, some freshmen students who have been having some trouble adjusting to the demands of high school level classes were asked to come in on Wednesday to receive free tutoring from the seniors. A handful of seniors were recommended by teachers to help tutor these struggling freshman students in exchange for service hours. The seniors were assigned to one of the rooms with a teacher: science, with Mrs. Grove, math, with Mr. Achille, history, with Mr. Parsons, theology, with Mrs. Maxson, or English, with Ms. Phelps.
When asked how he thought the tutoring went, Daniel Scutella, a senior math tutor, said, “Overall, I thought that the peer tutoring session was a success. There were a few kinks to work out, but the day still went rather well. Taking part in the tutoring first hand, I can honestly say that it seemed like the students enjoyed it as well. Obviously, it is not easy when you are struggling in any particular subject, but I could tell that they enjoyed learning from this different perspective. I think it would be worthwhile to continue the program, as it serves as another outlet for students to seek help in their school work.”
When asked for his opinion on how he thought the tutoring went, freshman Luke Sittinger replied, “It was useful. I think you guys should keep doing it.”
Overall, the tutoring session seemed to be a success. Many students felt as though they got a different perspective on the subject, from students that had previously had the exact class and even the exact teacher sometimes. This is a great opportunity for both seniors and freshman to have. The seniors get the satisfaction of helping others, as well as learn to be a leader and teacher, and the freshmen are getting tutored in subject that are struggling in. This new tutoring idea would’ve been good to have years ago.