2016

2015

2014

Strange weather shakes up weekend in Erie

The weekend of Nov. 18-20, the residents of Erie, Pa., and surrounding counties experienced some pretty weird weather patterns. On Friday, Nov. 18, the weather was 75 degrees and sunny, which was actually a record high temperature for the day. Then, on Saturday, Nov. 19, the temperatures in the region began to drop, reaching the 40s. The cold temperatures brought the first snowfall of the season.
On Sunday, Nov. 20, the temperatures fell lower into the mid-to-high 30s. On Sunday the Erie area accumulated even more snow. Erie was predicted to receive about 2 to 4 inches on Sunday, with even more snow predicted for Monday.
Prep senior Trey Deitrick, a wide receiver on the football team, spoke about how weather and the snow will affect the team’s run for a state title. Trey said, “Yes, the cold weather is more difficult to play in.” However, he finished by saying, “The Prep football team is prepared for the cold weather.”
Fellow senior Brian Stark said, “I am excited for the winter and being able to snowboard at the Peak.” Brian also said that outdoor activities like pick-up basketball won’t be played until the snow leaves the area.
Prep also has a handful of kids that travel a long distance to school each day. Senior Phil Cammarata is one of those students. Phil said, “This weather coming up will affect my commute to school greatly. During the winter I tend to wake up 20 minutes earlier so I can drive at a safe pace without putting myself in danger.”
As of Tuesday, Nov. 22, most of the snow in the area has melted. Although many residents of the Erie area are relieved that the snow went away quickly, they are getting prepared for harsh winter that is approaching.