2016

2015

2014

Is President Trump’s golf game affecting his presidency?

Joint Task Force – National Capi
President Donald J. Trump delivers his presidential inaugural address during the 58th Presidential Inauguration at the U.S. Capitol Building, Washington, D.C., Jan. 20, 2017. More than 5,000 military members from across all branches of the armed forces of the United States, including Reserve and National Guard components, provided ceremonial support and Defense Support of Civil Authorities during the inaugural period. (DoD photo by U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Cristian L. Ricardo)

Golf is a sport very popular around the world and very popular for past Commanders in Chiefs to play often. Recently, President Donald Trump, owner of many golf and country clubs around the world, has spent much of his early presidency at his clubs and has been seen playing golf at least twelve times in his first few months in office.
The 45th president has gone through much scrutiny and media attention in his first two months of his presidency. From the Muslim travel ban to a proposed new health care plan, Trump has been in the spotlight. To escape all the attention, Trump has visited and spent full days at his Trump National golf clubs in Florida. According the Washington Post, Trump has spent around 1/3 of his early presidential term at his country clubs. Many have criticized Trump for his golfing habit, especially after his comments last August about President Obama’s golfing habit and how he “won’t have time to golf” during his presidency.
In Trump’s defense, he has used the game to talk business and to make deals before his presidency as a businessman. During his presidency he has also done this by bringing foreign leaders out to the course like Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and celebrities like professional golfer Rory McIlroy, who also received scrutiny for playing with the President. Press Secretary Sean Spicer was in defense of Trump and his golf game when he said, “You saw him utilize this as an opportunity with Prime Minister Abe to help foster deeper relationships … in Asia and have a growing relationship that’s going to help U.S. interests… How you use the game of golf is something that he’s talked about.”
The affect of Trump’s golf game on his presidency has yet to be truly seen, but it will be interesting to see if this can cause more controversy in the future of his term. One thing is for sure certain is that Trump will continue to golf and the media will continue to criticize him and is presidency from now to the foreseeable future.