2016

2015

2014

Not content with space, Musk goes underground

Elon Musk and the The Boring Company have recently announced the grand opening of the very first hyperloop tunnel. This tunnel is set to travel at top speeds of up to 155 miles per hour, greatly enhancing public transit travel times. The tunnel is set to open on Dec. 10, 2018, below the city of Los Angeles, California. The tunnel is said to be just about two miles long, below the traffic heavy city and will be know as “The Loop.” The Boring Company has been developing this tunnel technology for quite some time now and is ready to show the day to day functionality of an underground tunnel and how easily it can be built in preexisting footprints with surrounding buildings.
Elon Musk, who is currently the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, has the main focus of bettering the world as a whole. His current companies push for a cleaner environment, and “the Loop” falls under the same category. The tunnel is being built with the goal of creating a faster, cheaper, and cleaner form of transportation. These three improvements are quite appealing to all and can help create a better world.
The hyperloop tunnel is mainly appealing to the public due to its functionality. With top speeds of over 150 miles per hour, it is set to greatly reduce commuter time. In a very large city, such as Los Angeles, it may take a few hours for somebody to get to work in morning traffic, and this is not very functional. The hyperloop tunnel can also increase the overall quality of the city, as it is more environmentally friendly than cars and other forms of public transportation. This could be game-changing technology that can help reduce pollution and point the world in the right direction.
The tunnel is currently prepared to open on December 10. Elon Musk has announced that the day after, October 11, “The Loop” will be offering free rides to the general public. People are sure to be lined up for days just to have the chance to be one of the first to enjoy this incredible technology. While this is only the opening of the first segment, and The Boring Company has much larger plans in mind, this is still an exciting day for the general public as it will foreshadow technology of the future.
The Boring Company has announced that the ultimate goal is to build tunnels throughout the United States to reduce road travel. The current plan is to build a tunnel that will travel from downtown Las Angeles to downtown San Francisco. This could create a very strong bond between these two large California cities, as they could both start expand in population and in size even more. A reduce in road travel can greatly impact the environment by reducing emissions, and with technology such as hyperloop tunnels, this could happen very soon.