2016

2015

2014

Stephen Hillenburg, creator of SpongeBob SquarePants, dies

SpongeBob SquarePants is a television show that at almost everyone has heard of or even watched at some point in their life. The show’s first episode premiered all the way back on May 1, 1999. Almost all of the current Cathedral Prep students were not even born yet. Ever since that day, SpongeBob blew up and has remained the face of Nickelodeon to this day.
Sadly, the original creator of this classic show, Stephen Hillenburg, passed away on Monday, Nov. 26, at age 57. It was about a year ago that Hillenburg was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s Disease. Hillenburg brought so much joy and laughter to kids everywhere growing up in the early 2000s.
Prep senior Ethan Regal was a big fan of SpongeBob while growing up. “This man has had a continuous presence in everyone’s lives for many years,” he said. “To think that someone this prominent has died has left me baffled.”
Hillenburg’s death is a reminder that everyone has a finite amount of time regardless of their position in life. While this is somber, it is the inevitable truth.
Even with this tragic passing, it is still important to focus on all the joy and bright memories he brought to the world. The show is still currently airing on Nickelodeon and continues to entertain children and even some adults. Stephen Hillenburg may be gone, but he will never be forgotten because his work will still live on through SpongeBob.