2016

2015

2014

Better Know an Elective: Journalism

Journalism is a full-year elective course at Cathedral Prep offered to juniors and seniors. Students in the class also serve as the staff of The Rambler, which publishes articles throughout the year at TheRamblerNews.com.

Many people think, “I already have writing classes in my schedule, so why should I join journalism?” Well, take it from a first-year journalist. This is my honest opinion of this class, unbiased and uncut. There are things that could have a positive influence in your ways of writing. Being able to voice your opinion and make yourself heard is a cool way to mix in an extracurricular activity into your regular school work.

Beyond learning the basics of reporting and writing, the journalism class consists of jobs and roles journalists can apply for. They have jobs that include creating the poll of the week, and also assemble the journalist together to choose articles that they should write. Articles vary from local events, school related activities, to national news.

I like how students have a say in proposing ideas and what to write about. Instead of being given a topic and being forced to write about it, this gives you the ability to write what you want. Writing for a purpose, rather than just a grade.

Keegan Welka, a senior who is a second year journalism student said, “If you’re looking to publish your best work and also have a fun time with people who share your interests in writing, then journalism is for you.”

If you’re worried about writing too much, don’t worry. I was in that same boat at the beginning of the year. But as the year went on, I started to enjoy what I was writing about and the audience I was writing to. So, if you are interested in joining journalism and want to have an impact in not only your writing abilities, but in your school, I would highly recommend joining our family of journalists. We will be more than happy to have you and look forward to it.