2016

2015

2014

Better Know an Elective: Dance Studies

Every year at Cathedral Prep each student is given a choice of some elective classes they want to take outside of the core classes that are mandatory. Electives are offered to give students a choice of what they want to learn about for some of their classes. If an elective is really popular year after year and a lot of people continue to sign up for it then it will certainly stick around for awhile.

Usually there will be a few different electives being offered to change things up a bit and give the students something different. Dance Studies was one of those brand new electives offered at the beginning of the 2018-19 school year. This class is designed to be fun for the students while also teaching them something they can use in their everyday lives.

Mrs. Ihrig is the teacher of this class, and she mentioned that she had already been teaching it at Villa for the last two years. She mentioned how popular it is over at Villa, stating, “The girls actually have a genuine interest, and I definitely feel like I’m making an impact on them.”

The course is so popular that there are more than 6 classes held at Villa. Prep and Villa pride themselves on being “one school” with two different campuses, so they try to offer the same classes.

There are all different kinds of dance techniques that you get to learn when taking this elective. The most popular form is modern dance. Senior Isaac Holder summarized how he feels about the class by saying, “It’s been really fun for me so far. My favorite part is getting to work and make group dances together.” Overall this class seems to have a great reputation and everyone’s having fun taking it.