2016

2015

2014

Scythe, and the concept of morality

Every year, Prep students have the opportunity to take various religion and theology courses/electives that educate them on the different factors and nuances of Catholicism and Christianity, as well as other religions throughout the world. However, things have been shaken up this year for the junior class at Prep. Mr. Ladouceur, a favorite to many, has decided to change up his curriculum to a more fresh and interesting subject: morality.

Now, of course, there are still connections to theological themes and mentions to the Bible and the Catholic faith, but it has largely taken a back seat to discussing moral dilemmas, and reading Scythe, the book that has went along with the course. It was recommended to Mr. Ladouceur by Ms. Lion, an English teacher here at Prep. The book tells the story of a dystopian society where humans have conquered all things that have plagued humanity ever since its beginning—they even conquered death. Due to this, they need certain people that systematically limit the population by killing, or “gleaning”, called Scythes. Mr. Ladouceur has used the story to great effect, having occasional reading time mixed with lessons about morality. Overall, it has been a great success in the classroom, as well as Mr. Ladouceur himself.

Mr. Ladouceur says that the book and new curriculum has been a great source of creativity and originality for him. The new book has allowed for not only an opportunity to make new projects and assignments, but also to engage students with a more realistic and personal message. And honestly it seems to have had a great effect on the class, and has opened them up to more in-depth thought, and a chance to enhance skills like decision-making, and critical-thinking, which will be more applicable later on in life.