2016

2015

2014

If you could go back in time and witness any event in history, what would you choose and why?

This week The Rambler staff answered the question “If you could go back in time and witness any event in history, what would you choose and why?” Read their choices and explanations below. Then share your answers in the comments section below.

Nick Cacchione

The crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus; Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals
If I could go back in time to witness any event in history, I would want to witness the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Seeing him alive after watching the excruciating pain he went through during his crucifixion would be an awesome sight to see. I would hope to meet Jesus personally and talk to him.

I would also want to attend Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals. If I could witness LeBron’s block and Kyrie’s game winning three-pointer, I would be ecstatic. I remember watching the game on television, and being so happy to watch my favorite basketball team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, complete the 3-1 comeback. Watching the game is one of my favorite memories ever, and witnessing it live would be even better.

Tyler Darden

Syracuse’s 2003 NCAA basketball championship
If I could go back in time to witness any event in history, I would choose yet another sports-related event. Given that March Madness season is here, I would choose to go back and witness Syracuse’s first national title in 2003, led by Carmelo Anthony. I am a big Syracuse Orange fan, in terms of college basketball, and seeing them win a title for the first time would be awesome. This year is not our year, so witnessing that would be a light during this dark time for the Syracuse Orange. 

James Janicki

JFK assassination
If I could go back and witness any event it would be the JFK assassination. The reason why is because there is so much people do not know. Like who the mystery lady was that they couldn’t ever find. Also, if Lee Harvey Olswald shot the gun. Everything about it would be interesting to watch and see what really happened. 

Ryan Jubulis

The Soviet Union’s siege of Berlin
If I could witness one thing in history it would have to be the siege of Berlin by the Soviet Union. This event has changed history forever with the way things collapsed for one of the biggest enemies to mankind in history. If I could actually do something and not just witness it, I would choose the moon landing, but that would be unsafe if I went to Berlin in 1945. To conclude, the witness of the siege would be phenomenal to see.

Jack Oedekoven

Jesus Christ, Elon Musk, Socrates
There are many significant events throughout history that are deserving of witnessing. However, only one can take the cake, and that is the crucifixion of Jesus. I think that witnessing this event, and the ones leading up to it will change the way I view life. Seeing Jesus getting speared in the side, watching the earthquake ensue, and witnessing the curtain in the temple getting ripped in half would definitely cement my faith. There are some things that science cannot explain, and this event is one of them.

Jon Sapienza

Frank Sinatra, Tupac Shakur, Wiz Khalifa
If I could go back in time and witness any event, I would travel to August 25, 1985, and watch Michael Jordan do his infamous backboard shattering dunk in Trieste, Italy. Michael Jordan is the best basketball player to ever play the game and also my favorite player. This dunk was so extraordinary and could never be replicated. Also, the videos of this don’t really do it justice. I would love to see this in real time. 

DeMere Strickland

Kanye West, Donald Glover, Kevin Hart
One moment I would like to see in particular is the splitting of the Red Sea from the Bible. I think it would be such a cool thing to see, and especially be able to walk through the sea, and going to the other side. It would not only be cool to see Moses splitting the sea in person, but also to watch the reactions of all the people around me that would also witness it. Not only would it be an important event in biblical history to witness, but also just really cool in a magic sort of way. Plus, seeing water separate like that would be neat.