2016

2015

2014

Prep students navigate transition to remote access learning

Remote access learning has been a change of pace for everyone at Cathedral Prep, and most likely around the country, as many states have indefinitely closed schools due to the spread of COVID-19. Across all grade levels, students are trying to make the adjustment to this change of life. Not only has school been closed indefinitely, but a stay-at-home order remains in place until April 30th at the earliest.

Prep is entering their 3rd week of remote access learning, which is an easier transition to go through compared to many other schools because of the iPad program. Along with the adjustment to school work, students have to find other things to do while stuck in their homes for the month of April. 

“I think that the remote access learning has been alright,” said senior Andrew Czarnecki. “It has been a bit difficult adjusting, and I think personally for me it is a little harder to actually learn things as opposed to a classroom setting, and there is a lot more busy work.”

In terms of the stay-at-home order, he had this to say:

“I think if everyone would follow that stay-at-home order things would get better faster.”

Even though the stay-at-home order is in effect, many people have been doing different things outside of their home, such as going down to Presque Isle State Park. Junior Michael Duska had some thoughts on the stay-at-home order. 

“The new stay-at-home order seems like a good idea; however, people are finding ways to break it and are making it very ineffective because too many people are going out and infecting themselves or others. I feel like the only way to end quarantine as soon as possible is to go on a nationwide lockdown.”

Although many students may find that the transition online learning is a struggle, others are doing better with the switch. Sophomore Josh Kanne is one of those students.  

“Online learning is not too bad,” Josh said. “I’m still retaining and gaining knowledge, just in the comfort of my home. In my opinion, it is taking out some of the wasted time in school by teachers just giving assignments. I think for the time being it is an effective method to keep teaching during the crisis.”

The best thing to do during this time is to remain patient. Make sure to space out your schoolwork and not procrastinate, as to not add any unneeded stress during this time. The virus is going to tell the timeline, so hang tight and get creative with your free time at home.