2016

2015

2014

Remembering Erie sportscaster Gary Drapcho

Gary Drapcho wasn’t just the sports news guy, he was Gary from every sports and community event he could possibly go to in the city of Erie and northwestern Pennsylvania. Drapcho passed away Wednesday, April 15, 2020.

Starting out in 1984, Drapcho covered everything from Steelers training camps to Buffalo Sabres and Bills games to the Cleveland Indians in the World Series to a more local enjoyment with Friday night high school football, the Erie Otters, and the Erie Seawolves, being on the Harborcreek Athletic Hall of Fame committee, and much more. He was always having guests on to talk about their youth football team, best golf scores, and the recent marathons they competed in. Drapcho always centered the interviews around the guests like they were the topic so well. 

Gary Drapcho was also a man of faith. Being a member of St. Patrick’s parish and volunteering to be a lector and serve in the choir was something special for someone as busy as him. Drapcho would always serve at the parish’s annual Irish festival. Msgr. Henry Kriegel, pastor of St. Pats, had some inspiring words.“In the final analysis we’re all going to be judged and remembered not by what we accomplished, not by what we accumulate, what milestones we set, we’re going to be remembered by how we touched the hearts of others, and Gary Drapcho touched the hearts, and that’s why we feel so bad today.” 

The one thing we won’t struggle with in this tragic event is remembering Gary Drapcho.