2016

2015

2014

First Cat Café opens in Erie

Erie’s first Cat Café opened on Valentine’s Day in downtown Erie. On Feb. 14, along 8th street, Purrista Cat Café became open to the public.

“It’s an interesting concept, and it’s surprising,” commented a supporter of Erie Native, cat enthusiast, and owner of the establishment, Dena Rupp.

Rupp’s mission is to pair lovable cats with their forever homes by purchasing in-store merchandise or by making a donation. By educating people on the benefits of animal adoption and not shopping, thriving to develop greatness in Erie, and creating a stress-free atmosphere for all animals, Rupp is successfully achieving her goal.

In order to meet the cats, you need to book a visit on the café’s reservation page. Only 12 people are allowed in the cat lounge at a time to prevent overwhelming the cats. After heading to the coffee bar and ordering a locally sourced coffee and/or baked good, you are asked to remove your jacket and shoes before entering the cat area,

The adoptable cats at the café have been nursed back to health regarding physical and emotional healing at Because You Care Incorporated Animal Rescue Group (BYC). They are are non-profit animal rescue organization with over 700 members who provide support through their membership fees. 

All pets are spayed and neutered as a part of the Trap Neuter Release (TNR) Program. This program makes it possible for feral cats to continue their lives outdoors after receiving proper treatment. 

BYC also consists of a Franklin Fund that allows them to treat severely injured animals that may have been abandoned and in need of extensive medical care. Regardless of the costs, the animals are able to receive the proper treatment necessary for recovery.

Anyone considering adoption must fill out an application at becauseyoucare.org. The applications are then viewed and processed by volunteers. After a home inspection to guarantee animal safety, animals are able to enter loving homes with committed adopters.

If you are unable to foster or adopt an animal, there are others ways you can help. By becoming a member of BYC, donating time, money, and pet supplies, as well as spreading the word of the cause that BYC and Purrista Cat Café stand for. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding Purrista Cat Café, please check out their website at purristacatcafe.com or call (814)-520-8494  for more information.

If you would like to reach out to BYC, contact [email protected] or give them a call at (814)-476-1212.