2016

2015

2014

Whom or what do you advocate for?

Many of our weekly questions look inward about personal preferences. This week is about focusing outward about advocacy for a group of people or a cause that matters to our staff. Read on to find out what they advocate for and then share a cause that matters to you in the comments.

Colin Bish

I don’t really advocate for most particular groups or people because no matter who or what you support, you’ll always get hate. There is one that I’ve always advocated for though, and that is the NFL with their “It Takes All of Us” campaign. The NFL already recognizes many of their athletes through the Walter Payton Man of the Year award for actions and programs that benefit their communities. But the NFL’s 2020 campaign allowed for everyone to have a voice through their association. It made it feel like everyone, no matter their race, ethnicity, background, or whatever, had a place in the football community

Olivia Buckel

I advocate for the voices of young people to be respected and heard in the professional and political worlds. As a young woman, I have been told many times that I am “too young to understand” or “older people know better.” While it may be true that older generations have more life experience, that does not mean that my generation should be any less valued. We have grown up in a world of technology, threats of terrorism, pandemics, and many others. We have experienced “once in a lifetime” events at only 17 years old, and most older people did not have something this big when they were our age. Our voices deserve to be heard.  

Cole Corapi

People I advocate the most are those who serve for our country. They fight wars and go through so many hardships so that we can live how we do now. They put their lives on the line for us so that we can have the freedoms we do now. I can’t even imagine the things they see and go through, which is why I advocate for them the most. My prayers always go out to them because of their service. 

Rue Daniels

I advocate for equality first and foremost. By knowing my rights I have been able to establish where and when to speak out against discrimination. I think justice is something that is deserved for those discriminated against. The only way it can be prevented is by actively speaking about it to educate others that there are more people that have a desire to advocate for a similar cause. 

Maddie Hess

I advocate for/support the Pro-Life movement. Because I’ve grown up Catholic, I have always been raised to put lives first. Regarding abortion, I have never been able to understand why others think killing an unborn child is an okay thing to do. I have been to the March for Life, and this experience was truly life-changing. Seeing people band together for saving lives is amazing. This makes people want to help/make a change in the Pro-Life movement, and it makes a large impact in my life towards making these changes.  

Bryce Kalie

There are many things to advocate for, especially in the year 2022. What I advocate for is foreign assistance. I think there are many countries that need the assistance of us. I think it’s right to fund and send money to those in need for basic living needs like food and water. This is something that I believe in, and I think others should as well.

Sam Louie

There are a lot of things to advocate for; however, personally I advocate for people to vote once they’re able to. I think a lot of people are putting aside voting because they’re either too lazy or don’t think it affects them. But I think voting affects everyone, and I hope that one day people will begin to realize that. Voting is a very important part of our country, and if we don’t vote then things won’t change. Therefore, I advocate for those who turn 18 to go out and vote, especially if it’s a presidential election.

Jack Rouch

I advocate for all of the nice and caring people in the world. Nowadays there is so many people in the world who are selfish and only think of themselves. We need to advocate and appreciate the unselfish people in the world. I think if someone in your life is nice to you, make sure they know that.

What is your favorite Valentine’s Day sweet treat? Share your response in the comments.