Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month at Prep

Alicia Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15-October 15), was celebrated this past month at Cathedral Prep. Mr. Chet Moffett kicked it off by sending out daily emails, showcasing important historical figures of Hispanic descent. Some of these figures included Sonia Sotomayor, Sylvia Mendez, Ellen Ochoa, and Rita Moreno.

Mr. Moffett states that Hispanics are the second smallest minority at Cathedral Prep. Upon reviewing the statistics he found that “2.7% make up the school.” Other minorities include Asian and African American. Mr. Moffett reports “Under 10% combined make up this group.”

Not accounted for in the percentages are the vast amount of students that declare themselves multi-racial and fit in many cultural groups instead of just one exclusively. They make up a minority in the school  as well.

Moving forward, enrollment plays a big part in the diversity of the school. Together with Mr. Dougherty the Vice President of Enrollment Management, Mr. Moffett plans to “make sure we are admitting enough students of color.”

As Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Mr. Moffett revealed exciting plans on the celebration of other cultures as well. He stated, “Don’t disregard the months, but understand that we celebrate these things year-round.”

Prep also has alumni of Hispanic heritage that should be celebrated. Mr. Moffett added, “Mr. Salata, a Prep graduate, is Hispanic. He went to Prep and is successful and gave back through the Salata Technology and Innovation Center.”

He hopes to expand upon celebrations in the school by bringing back facts about minorities throughout history over the announcements in the mornings. He stated “Instead of the emails, the announcements are something that will be brought back.”

Other departments of the school have joined in on the celebration, including Spanish club. Officer of Spanish club Julissa Condon shared “I’m excited to take on service projects as well as inspire other minorities through the good work in Spanish Club.”