What Lent looks like at Prep

Dominick Scarpino, Staff Writer

Lent is a very devout time for all Catholics. Cathedral Prep offers a wide variety of ways for their students to participate in various Lenten activities. These activities include the Bible Study group run by senior Emily Consiglio, Rice Bowl run by Campus Ministry, and the Emmau’s soup kitchen service project every Monday.

“As Catholics, Lent is the most important part of the year for our faith,” Campus Minister Mrs. Grenci said. “We want to give our students the opportunity to actually be able to give back to the community in a tangible way during Lent. I feel that this year’s Lent is already off to a much better start than last Lent in the opportunities department.”

The first of the major activities that we will be seeing at Prep this Lent is the Bible Study Group run by senior Emily Consiglio. Bible Study offers a student-led way to more effectively understand the Bible’s meaning.

“I thought that Bible study was absolutely fantastic,” junior Rue Burkett said, “Emily ran the event in a way that was incredibly entertaining for everyone involved. I highly recommend everybody try it out at least once.”

The next major event being offered is the Rice Bowl, which is available every day at all three lunches.

“Rice Bowl is a simple way for people to donate some loose change from their lunch to a good cause,” Mrs. Grenci said, “We are very happy that we can provide this good opportunity for students to help the less fortunate in a very simple way.”

The last major event being offered so far is the weekly making of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for Emmaus Soup Kitchen. While this event isn’t restricted to Lent, it really is another great way to get involved to help the community.

“I always enjoy being able to give back to the community during my time,” junior Seth Daniels said, “I find the opportunity to do so during my lunch period very helpful to both me and the community.”