2016

2015

2014

Students give to Second Harvest

November is a month to be thankful and to give back, and Prep students are doing just that. From November 1st to the 15th, students donated nonperishable food items to donate to the local Second Harvest Food Bank in Erie.

This year’s collection was spearheaded by students on the Student Council executive board, as well as council leaders and teachers, Mr. Baltzer and Ms. Mackensen.

The organization chosen, Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwestern PA, is the one and only food bank in our region. It receives and distributes millions of pounds of fresh foods each year to international locations that serve those who are hungry.

“Second Harvest is a nonprofit that Prep Student Council has been working with for nearly a decade,” Mr. Baltzer said. “Our collection is a yearly tradition that we set up with their organization each November.”

Senior and Student Council President, Clare DiGiacomo, took part in publicizing this year’s drive among the Prep community.

“I have been spreading the word about the project because of how important it is for so many people,” Clare said. “Not only will the drive benefit the community, but it helps to unify us as a school family as well.”

The service project has become a friendly competition between students in all three lunch periods, as the three collections are grouped together by period on the SLC gathering stairs.

“The lunch that collects the most items will receive a sweet treat before Thanksgiving break,” Mr. Baltzer said. “We hope this gives students the motivation to donate as little or as much as they are able.”

As the drive continues on, Council members are hopeful that more items will be collected to serve this important cause.