2016

2015

2014

Alumni Profile: Rex Riley (‘16)

Rex Riley’s legacy at Prep can be seen on the walls of the David M. Hallman III Aquatics Center. An all-star swimmer and water polo player, Riley is a part of the class of 2016. Riley first became interested in Prep through his family.

“Both my uncle and my brother went to Prep, which made me want to go there as well,” Riley said. “I also was also drawn in by the amazing athletic programs and the opportunities to grow in your spirituality.”

He also noted that his favorite thing while he was at Prep was how intense the school spirit was.

“The pep rallies are some of my favorite memories at Prep,” Rex said. “All the guys going crazy in the auditorium just showed how much love we had for our school and our teams.”

Outside of school, Riley showed off his talents in the water. In the fall, he played water polo, where he earned four varsity letters and obtained All American status. In the winter, he was one of the top swimmers on the Prep team. During his Prep career, he won multiple PIAA state and D-10 medals, earned All-State and All-American honors, was named high school team rookie of the year, and still holds the D-10 records in the 200 medley relay, 200 freestyle and the 100 breaststroke. He also holds team records in the 200 freestyle, the 500 freestyle, the 200 freestyle relay, and the 100 breaststroke. Being such a decorated swimmer, Riley attributed his success to his support system.

“I think I achieved so much because of my amazing coaches and teammates who pushed me to do my best,” he said. “I was never able to push myself alone, and they reminded me to compete every day.”

While reflecting on his time swimming at Prep, Riley shared that his favorite memory was winning districts in 2016.

“We were seated to lose for the first time in 14 years,” Riley said. “I was was the last leg of 400 freestyle relay, and I was able to tie the meet, leading to us winning in the end.”

After Prep, Riley decided to continue his swimming career at the University of Notre Dame. There, he was a part of their 2019 and 2020 ACC Championship team and continued to get personal best times. When asked why he chose to continue Riley explained that he wasn’t done yet.

“I felt that I had a lot more potential to unlock,” Riley said, “and I wanted to continue to challenge and push myself to the next level.”

Today, Riley is an underwriter for Erie Insurance. His job involves ensuring the company’s profitability by reviewing policies and data. He explained that the values instilled into him at Prep have guided him through life after high school.

“At Prep, I learned about taking responsibilities with stride,” he said. “I learned failure, but I also learned from mistakes and how to overcome them.”

Along with his job, Riley also became an assistant coach for Prep’s Women’s and Men’s swim team. Once again, Riley felt like his time with swimming wasn’t done.

“I have been swimming for so long, so it is still a hobby for me,” he shared. “I felt that I have knowledge to impart, and as long as there are swimmers here, I can help them like my coaches helped me.”

Riley expressed how amazing the past two seasons have been with his favorite part being the boys winning states last year.

“I’m happy to have found another team of swimmers and to learn what works with you guys and doesn’t,” Riley explained. “Being a coach has helped me stay grounded and has taught me that people learn at different paces.”

Besides coaching a new a generation of swimmers, Riley is still very close with his high school teammates.

“My best friend, Austin Hancock, is one of my old teammates and was my breaststroke buddy,” he said. “I still still keep in touch with some of the other guys, and I have to mention the late Calvin Behm. He was an amazing teammate and friend, and I will never forget him and his dedication.”