2016

2015

2014

Wait, what holiday is next?

It is currently Nov. 6, but if you walk into any department store all across the United States you will already see Christmas decorations lining the isles. If you ask me, I think Christmas shopping season starts incredibly too early. As you may have seen on ABC Family, the 25 Days of Christmas turns into more like 25 weeks of Christmas. What about Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving seems to be a forgotten holiday. Celebrating what you’re thankful for is now overshadowed by Christmas.
Thanksgiving is one of the greatest holidays, and it is hard to appreciate it when stores are constantly shoving Christmas merchandise down my throat. Thanksgiving has not done anything wrong, yet stores continue to discriminate against it every single year. I understand that the excitement of Christmas gifts and the Christmas spirit, but we should remember to be thankful for what we have before we receive what we want. It seems like nowadays we go from preparing for Oct. 31 to preparing for Dec. 25.
On a completely serious note, the majority of those who will read this article are very lucky, fortunate people who should be grateful for all they have. It really yanks your heart when you think about all those people who actually have nothing and the distances they would travel to get half of the things we have. Another extremely important aspect that is overlooked is that Thanksgiving is a meal where we can gain 10pounds in one sitting and not get judged. That in itself is awesome.
Why not enjoy your 10 pounds of food in November and then when December rolls around, pass those extra pounds onto Santa with a delightful plate of warm cookies and milk? There is a way both holidays can be appreciated in the same way and your turkey dinner can get along with Santa’s bibag of presents. Just remember, Santa would not be nearly as large and jolly if he missed out on his Thanksgiving dinner, and a skinny Santa would be no fun. So get like Santa and give Thanksgiving the attention it deserves.