2016

2015

2014

Are you feeling the Bern?: A look at presidential candidate Bernie Sanders

Can you feel it? Can you feel the rising numbers, the vivacious vocal support? Do you believe in a new political revolution? Well, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont can, and 49 percent of the Democratic Iowa Caucus supporters, the state of New Hampshire, and millions across the country can feel and have begun to embrace “The Bern!” Sanders, a carpenter turners filmmaker turned mayor turned senator, has been steadily climbing up the Democratic primary polls across the USA.
But what is “The Bern” and who is Bernie Sanders? Many have quickly dismissed Sanders as a “flavor of the month candidate”, “radical”, or even  a “communist.” But Sanders, like Donald Trump, has overcome this negativity and ascended the polls regardless. Not because of his past policy records, but because of the bright aroma he portrays to the masses, and his message of helping those who are underrepresented in society, and to drastically change the political spectrum in Washington and the rest of the country.
Sanders hasn’t isolated specifically what his policy proposals are, but he has explained his positions on a majority of the issues, and what his goals would be as President of the United States. Sanders has voiced his support for an increase of taxes on the upper class in America, in an attempt to fix the income inequality in America.
But what makes increasing the size of the government by 40 percent so attractive? A local woman named Marian likes Bernie due to his “experience, and how he connects with all the people.” This is extremely important. Large majorities of the population are moving away from the classic politician exemplified by Hillary Clinton and Marco Rubio, and moving towards people like Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders, who are using American anger as fuel for their campaigns.
Sanders was a real stand up character in the 60s. He was arrested on a few occasions protesting racial segregation. He was a member of countless socialist organizations, and other civil rights organizations participating in Martin Lither King’s 1963 March on Washington. His voting record has continued this trend towards representing oppressed populations.
But those who feel the Bern, are feeling a lot more than just Bernie Sanders’ influence. They are feeling the burning sensation of life as a whole. For a long time in America, there have been large wage gaps, a lot of conflicts, conflicts among populations, and an extension of racism. People feel as if they are being cheated by Washington politics. Hearing politicians dodge questions, dance around the answer or just get nothing done has heightened this animosity among Americans. Sanders has presented himself as someone who would fix all of these things, and it looks as if many people don’t care how, but rather that it happens.
Also, Sanders’ opponent, Hillary Clinton, has detractors who label here as cold, unlikeble, and unable to connect with the larger American populations. Sanders represents the exact opposite of what Clinton does; he relies on honesty, truth, and connection with his audiences.
It’s hard to tell at this time if candidates like Sanders or Trump are here to stay or just are favors of the election. It’s difficult because never before have candidates with such extremely left, or extremely right ideas been accepted, or at least not accepted this far into the race.
Sanders is currently down by one delegate in the Democratic primary race to Hillary Clinton 51-52.