2016

2015

2014

Student Profile: Mark Majewski

Mark Majewski, a senior at Cathedral Prep, has been recognized countless times for his athletic achievements throughout his grade school and high school years. Mark has played on many sports teams in his days, and has excelled at them all. His success can be attributed to a few factors: practice, sacrifice, and of course, genetics.
According to Mark himself, he has been exposed to sports since his earliest days. In an interview with Mark, he stated that he has baby pictures of himself holding basketballs. “The first sport I ever played was golf. I started playing when I was three,” Mark said. “When I was around 10 years old I had to quit playing golf because the baseball swing actually gets affected by the golf swing.” Many people aren’t even good at playing one sport by age 10, yet Mark already had to give up one sport to pursue another he was equally skilled at.
Mark started to gain recognition for his athletic talents as early as the 5th grade. Mark played JV basketball during his 5th and 6th grade years at Our Lady of Peace (OLP). He then played varsity basketball and tennis at OLP during his 7th and 8th grade years. He also bowled his 6th, 7th, and 8th grade years. Mark placed fifth in the diocese his very first year playing tennis at OLP.
After dominating the middle school scene, Mark went on to play various sports in high school at Cathedral Prep. Mark played four years of baseball, playing on varsity his freshman year. Mark also played basketball. He played freshman basketball in 9th grade, JV basketball in 10th grade, and varsity basketball in 11th and 12th grade.
Mark decided to try something new this year and tried out for Prep’s golf team. Mark made varsity his first year, something many golfers hope to accomplish in four years. When asked what Mark’s strengths are as a golfer, fellow varsity golfer Ryan Misko replied, “Mark has many strengths including his athleticism. This allows him to easily transition between multiple sports and still be successful. He has a very solid golf swing that allows him to shoot low scores.” Misko also stated how he was impressed with the fact that Mark plays other sports because most golfers that he plays with only play golf.
Mark has a long family history of athleticism, including his grandfather who played basketball for Prep, his mother who played basketball for Mercyhurst, and his father who played basketball at Penn State Behrend. Mark’s father, who doubles as his basketball coach at Prep spoke about what Mark brings to the team. “Sacrifice, effort, dedication and commitment,” Coach Majewski said. In fact, it was the sport of basketball that first brought Mark’s parents together. Mark said that his parents met at the neighborhood basketball court. With such an athletic history, it is no wonder Mark is as athletic as he is.