2016

2015

2014

What is your favorite song about love?

In celebration of Valentine’s Day, this week The Rambler staff answered the question “What is your favorite song about love?” Read their selections and explanations below. Then share your favorite love song in the comments section and tell us why you love it.

Nick Cacchione

“Love Song” by Jon feat. Pineapple Jack
My favorite song about love has to be “Love Song,” created and performed by the talented musicians and Cathedral Prep students Jon (Sapienza) featuring Pineapple Jack (Jack Kloecker). When I was asked what my favorite love song was, this song stuck out to me right away, mainly because of its ingenious title. “Love Song” really digs deep and makes people question if their love is real. Clearly the love is real for these two Prep seniors. When listening to these creative lyrics “All I wanna do is just love,” I thought to myself, “Do I really want to love?” I knew the answer right away: yes, all I want to do is just love. This song will forever hold a place in my heart, mainly because when I listen to it, I think about the memories I have created with the people I care most about. These artists truly are “angels you get from above.”

Tyler Darden

“Love” by Gianluca Vacchi, Sebastián Yatra
My favorite song about love comes from Mrs. Lopez’s Spanish 3 class. It was called “Love” by Sebastian Yatra. It has a really good beat to the song and was mostly in English despite it being listened to in our class. It was part of this “March Madness” song bracket, and we got to pick the song which we liked the best. The song talks about how everyone needs love in our life. Even those that might seem like they do not need or even deserve love in our lives, everyone needs some love. Those who are not loved could be depressed, and so make sure we always show love each and every day to those in our lives, whether we actually love them or not.

James Janicki

“Marvin’s Room” by Drake
My favorite love song is probably “Marvin’s Room” by Drake. This is my favorite song because one it has really good lyrics. It also has a really good beat to the song, which gives it a really good vibe. It also has more of a sadder vibe to it because he really misses this girl and cannot see her. I usually listen to it late at night because it is very calming. 

Ryan Jubulis

“I Love Rock and Roll” by Joan Jett
My favorite song about love is “I Love Rock and Roll” by Joan Jett. The whole idea behind it is to show the appreciation for the passion of rock music. The repeated line, “So put another dime in the jukebox baby,” shows how the singer wants to keep hearing her favorite sounds. Love doesn’t have to be about chocolates and relationships; it can be about the true passion of something like “I Love Rock and Roll.”

Ryan Kirby

“Lucky People” by Waterparks and “Robbers” by The 1975
If I had to pick a favor love song it would be a two way tie between “Lucky People” by Waterparks and “Robbers” by The 1975. Lucky people is a very upbeat acoustic song, which is all about the happiness love brings and making someone feel special. “Robbers” is a much darker song with a Bonnie and Clyde feel to it. It has very heavy synth guitar and a catchy bass line. The song focus on a modern love story full of your average modern day vices. 

Jack Oedekoven

“Take Care” by Drake
My favorite love song would have to be “Take Care” by Drake. My interpretation of the song is that love is complicated. It also tells that there is almost always baggage from previous relationships. The lyrics tell that people fall in relationships for a dream. However, the dream almost never happens. Also, behind the scenes, people will tell others that they aren’t in love with another, but behind closed doors, they are. And lastly, it tells that people’s hearts are broken, but not always in the relationship they are in. It just hurts, and they can’t explain it.

Jon Sapienza

“Oh Girl” by The Chi-Lites
My favorite love song is “Oh Girl” by The Chi-Lites. I like this song because it is very calming and sings about love. I like the instruments and background music along with the vocal tracks on it. I noticed it first from The Sopranos and added it to my slow music playlist right after I heard it. 

DeMere Strickland

“What You Won’t Do for Love” by Bobby Caldwell
My favorite Valentine’s Day love song is “What You Won’t Do for Love” by Bobby Caldwell. I think it’s just a pretty good song. It has a very nice jazz vibe to it, making it not only relaxing to listen to, but also it can be romantic as well. I’ve also known this song for a very long part of my life, so it makes it better. There is also a “slowed down” version of the song on YouTube, and I personally think that is the best version of the song.