2016

2015

2014

Devan Bailey becomes National Merit Scholarship finalist

Devan Bailey, Prep class of 2020, has recently been named a finalist by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, meaning he is one of the top 15,000 out of nearly two million high school seniors. Prep has not had a National Merit Scholarship finalist in a while. 

“I’m honored to receive this recognition by the National Merit Scholarship Program and extremely excited and humbled by the possible opportunities the National Merit Scholarship Corporation has set up for this extremely competitive scholarship process,” Devan proclaimed. 

After being announced a semifinalist last September, Devan completed a competitive application for the next round of the competition. Around 95 percent of National Merit Scholarship Corporation semifinalists make it to the finalist round, where it is required to have a qualifying score as well as a stellar academic record and a handful of extracurriculars.  Devan made it in the top 15,000 by earning a qualifying ACT score and meticulously completing an application to move forward in the process.

“The application was very thorough and much like an application for a competitive school,” mentioned Devan while on the topic. 

By placing as a finalist in this competition, Devan has qualified to become a National Merit Scholar, which can be accomplished by either winning one of the scholarships given out by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation itself, by a sponsoring corporation, or by a school who sponsors National Merit Scholars who commit to them as their first choice. While Devan is still undecided on who to commit his first choice school to, he hopes to receive a scholarship from one of the schools who sponsor National Merit Scholars.