2016

2015

2014

Gobble Up: Staff shares favorite Thanksgiving dinners

Thanksgiving is getting closer and closer as the days go by. With fall, comes advent, cold weather, and unfortunately, the often skipped over holiday, Thanksgiving. While the excitement for Christmas is completely understood from millions in the world, skipping a holiday all about thanks seems like a slap in the face. 

In order to get into the Thanksgiving spirit, different staff members from various departments were interviewed on their favorite Thanksgiving food. Additional topics, such as a special celebration and similar topics were also noted.

Journalism adviser Mr. Hubert said that he always had buttered noodles since he was young. “They may not be the most traditional Thanksgiving side dish, but they are delicious,” he said.

Speaking of not traditional, science teacher Mr. Biebel said that since his family is from the country, they would go to Mountain Grove Golf Course and “sight-in rifles.” His favorite Thanksgiving dinner is apple pie, or just pie in general. 

Known for his 3-D printing classes, Mr.Ng takes a liking to his leftovers. He really likes cold turkey with extra hot sauce. 

As for Father Jason, the campus minister, he said his favorite Thanksgiving dinner has to be fresh mashed potatoes.

Math teacher Mrs. Worline loves turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy, but her family likes corn casserole. As for a tradition, she also mentioned that they make pumpkin pie from scratch every Thanksgiving season.

Additionally, she stressed her thanks towards time with her family and most importantly, her health. “We got to spend more time together as a family, ya know?” Mrs.Worline said. “Normally we are running around crazy with sports and stuff. We were just able to have more one-on-one time.” 

Another member of the math department, Mr. Czytuck, said his favorite part of the dinner is the sweet potatoes and the leftovers for the next few days, specifically turkey for sandwiches and nice pot pie. 

He also said that he is thankful for (hopefully) being able to bring his family together. During this year, the future is unknown, but he has high hopes that they can share food and have some laughs.

“It’s my stepson and his kids, and my great granddaughter” he said. “It’s about 10 of us.”

He coaches and usually puts the turkey in the oven early. They eat around three or four, and everybody does something to help out. 

“I still get stuck washing the dishes though,” he said.

Mr. Awungnkeng said his favorite meal was stuffing and mashed sweet potatoes. The freshman theology teacher said that he’s thankful for having a job, especially in this time when other people have lost theirs. Most importantly, however, he said he’s most thankful for “the health of my family.” Most of his family are healthcare workers, and thankfully, they’ve been okay throughout this pandemic.

Mr. Steadman, the MVP music teacher, was very adamant to state that his favorite food is stuffing, and his reaction to stuffing with sausage made him hungry at the thought of it. He is most thankful for having time with family. He usually has a pretty small, traditional Thanksgiving dinner.