2016

2015

2014

Highlighting the latest in scientific research: oncolytic viruses and butanol

Throughout the years, there has always been a feeling about everything we have come to until today. Discoveries have been popping up left and right. Comparing how we are now from 50 years ago, we are astronomically into the future with the technology we use in our daily life. Ranging from cars, phones, computers, and even the type of lights we use have drastically improved, but this has left some people thinking, “What else is there to discover?”
Although there are not many large things which are changing our way of life, that doesn’t mean there is a lack of science that is been being worked on by scientists around the world. A few examples of these would be major medical research which has been projected to save many, many lives because of what is bring worked on.
Researchers have been paying attention to something they call oncolytic viruses.
The name comes from “Onco” which means cancer, and “Lytic” which means to burst open. This describes the effects these have cancer cells. This virus ‘latches on’ to the infected cells, targeting only the ones that contain the cancer, which begins to eliminate it from the inside out. These are still something for the future though, although the mere subject is definitely something to look forward to being developed in the future.
The second more notable scientific research which is going on currently, is that of swapping out more common fuel, such as the gasoline we use today, with one which we can synthetically make without exhausting our resources left in the Earth.
This scientific research is about a liquid called Butanol. Butanol is created by tiny microbes eating up energy, which goes through chemical reactions to create electro-fuel. This is further processed into creating what scientists call Butanol. This is looked well upon, as it does not absorb water, and can easily be placed in the tanks and fuel lines we have today, so it doesn’t require any major renovating with the current equipment we run on now.
There are big hopes in the future with what we will be able to master next, perhaps something for the later generations to make good upon the environmental crisis we are beginning to experience will emerge. Science is a powerful thing, and I don’t think it will be stopping any time soon.