Teacher Profile: Mrs. Praetzel

Dominick Scarpino, Staff Writer

With the start of every new school year, there are a lot departures and just as many new arrivals. One of those arrivals is Mrs. Praetzel, the new teacher is the theology department.

Mrs. Praetzel attended the Franciscan University of Steubenville for an education degree. She also has been very active with youth groups throughout her life. She was a Youth Minister for Saint Mark Mount Calvary Church, located in Lawrence Park, and Our Lady of Mercy in Harborcreek for about two years during COVID.

“It was very challenging but rewarding at the same time,” Mrs. Praetzel said. “It was good to see kids still invested in their faith life throughout the duration of the pandemic.”

She found it incredibly rewarding to be involved in the formative years of youth, specifically Catholic youth because of her deep history with her faith. Mrs. Praetzel was drawn to Prep because of that reason, to help expand people’s faith lives.

Despite being new here, she says that everyone has welcomed her with open arms and has been willing to help her with whatever she might need. “No matter what I may need, everyone is willing to help me with it,” Mrs. Praetzel said. “I feel overwhelmed with the generosity and kindness of everyone, staff and students alike.”

Mrs. Praetzel teaches Theology for the juniors and teaches Sociology as an elective. She has already made an impact on her students.

“Mrs. Praetzel is a very caring and thoughtful teacher,” junior Emma Izbicki said. “She always goes out of her way to encourage her students to do their best in every aspect of her class and is willing to help with any questions that we might have.”

“Mrs. Praetzel is a new teacher who has a lot of passion for what she teaches,” junior Seth Daniels said, “All of us can tell that she really wants us to do our best in her class.”