2016

2015

2014

Charlie Hebdo Shooting: Several killed in Paris

On Jan. 7, two masked men pulled up to the Charlie Hedbo building on Rue Nicolas-Appert, a street in Paris, France.
Charlie Hedbo is a French satirical magazine that has been known for taking jabs at and drawing the Islamic prophet, Muhammed.  The men got out of the car and marched towards the offices armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles. They entered the building for a short time before realizing they had the wrong address. They then traveled down the street and entered the Charlie Hedbo office they had been targeting.
Bullets were fired and caretaker Frederic Boisseau was murdered in cold blood at the age of 42. They attackers then used cartoonist Corrine Rey to gain entry the newsroom where the weekly editorial meeting was taking place. The terrorists asked to speak with the magazine’s head editor, Stephane Charbonnier, who was shot and killed after being pointed out.
Nine more were shot dead in the meeting, including Charbonnier’s bodyguard, seven of Charlie Hedbo’s journalists, and a guest who was just attending the meeting.  Witnesses said they heard the gunmen shouting, “We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad” and “God is greatest” in Arabic. The killers left the building, tried to drive away, and ran into a cop car. A shootout ensued, and officer Ahmed Merabet was shot dead at close range.
The gunmen responsible for the killings, Cherif and Said Kouachi, were later shot down in a standoff with police on Friday.